Saturday, December 19, 2009

Be Good to the Environment

I have a co-worker who is an eternal optimist. No matter what the story, he can slant it positively and make it sound wonderful. It’s no accident that he handles the media relations for our organization. He’s a good person to have around because I tend to be more of a realist. I also tend to tune into people who are being negative and at times allow their destructive attitude to colour my own outlook.
I recently received a Christmas card from a friend who encouraged me to be like a plant. Just like the green leaves soak up bad particles in the air and emit clean oxygen, as Christians we should soak up the negativity in our atmosphere and emit the joy and peace of Christ. That’s a new slant on being environmentally friendly!
Jesus did the same everywhere He went. The religious leaders of the day were constantly throwing their negative attitudes at Him. He responded to them directly and then showed love and compassion on the crowds around Him.
I want to be more like Jesus by taking the negative around me and using it for good. We should be lights on a hill and green plants in a city of pollution. While we work so hard at being environmentally friendly in the physical world, let’s also work at reducing our spiritual carbon footprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment