Monday, November 23, 2009

Be Faithful In the Little Things

A few years back, the Hoppers sang a song called, "Be Faithful In the Little Things". Catchy tune. Reminded the listeners that God wants us to be faithful to Him in everything so that He can mature us into the people He knows we can be.
I've been thinking about that a lot lately. The little things would include stuff like my attitude toward my coworkers (women can be really nasty behind others' backs, and we also can be very territorial!), the way I drive (if I call that idiot names in my car where no one can hear me, it really doesn't matter), even the way I talk to the cashier at the store (of course it's her fault if the prices went up)...
I was reading My Utmost for His Highest Today and one of the emphasis was on vindication. Oh how I love to do that. If people catch me in a mistake, or if they think I made one and I didn't, I am so quick to vindicate myself...especially by pointing fingers at others. Funny, I don't recall Jesus ever doing that when He was misunderstood...
Then there is the critical spirit. God gave us discernment so we could intercede, not criticise. Yikes, that one hurts. I know I am too critical and that is something I really need to work on.
Life is a series of choices that we face daily. It's not always the huge ones that come between us and God (should I donate $1M to charity today? No, guess I can't...)...but the little things that we may not even think about. Habits that have become ingrained in our lives. The Bible calls them "little foxes" that need to be eradicated.
I'm taking a good hard look at myself today and the Lord is reminding me to be faithful in the little things. What do the 'little things' look like in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment