Thursday, June 17, 2010

SGM Radio Blog’s Top Ten: Sunday Edition


We are thrilled to share with you these mini-interviews with some great Southern Gospel artists! Check back often to see who is next on the SGM Radio Blog's Top Ten!


Sunday Edition


Sunday Edition began in 1972 as a male quartet. Founder Deon Unthank now sings with his children, Chris and Amy Marie Unthank. Sunday Edition is based in Tennessee and sings across the United States. Chris and Amy Marie operate Southern Spin Entertainment, Amy Marie is a prolific songwriter and the Unthanks own the popular AbsolutelyGospel.com website.

Sunday Edition’s Top Ten by Deon Unthank


1. Please tell us the name of your latest recording and your favorite song from that CD. What is the message behind this song?
Our latest recording is a Hymns and Praise project which features 5 Hymns and 5 Praise songs. The Hymns are all pretty old and the Praise and Worship songs are all ones that any SG fan would be very comfortable with. My favorite song would be "Blessed Assurance". It's an old Hymn that has a message that still touches today, because we all need to rely on that blessed hope in Jesus and the assurance that every day He is there for us.

2. What is one group highlight from the last 12 months?
A definite highlight has been working with Glen Bates, who is a great songwriter. Glen has written two songs for us to release for radio,"He Bore A Cross" which went to # 43 on the charts, and our new release "Mercy Walks A Road". It's really exciting to know that someone has enough confidence in us as a group to invest his heart by giving us his songs.

3. Have you been on a mission trip? If you have, where did you go? If you haven’t, would you like to and where would you want to go?
Yes, I have been on four Mexico Missions trips. I would encourage everyone who can to go on a mission trip. It will change your life.
I am not rich according to America's standards, but when I come back home from mission trips to Mexico I always feel like a rich American.
I have never failed to go on a mission trip that I didn't meet a person from that country that I could not get out of my mind. t is such a rich experience.

4. What artist are you listening to right now?
Actually I'm not listening, I have one eye on the keyboard and one eye on the TV where I'm watching "Throwdown With Bobby Flay". I love the cooking channel.

5. What was the best decade for music? Favorite artist from that decade?
For me that would be from 1962 to 1972. I had more than one favorite. The Imperials were certainly at the top of my list. I loved Jake Hess with them, but I think my favorite was the Jim Murray, Terry Blackwood, Roger Wiles, Armond Morales group. The Stamps with JD Sumner, Donnie Sumner, Jimmy Blackwood, and Jim Hill, or JD, Donnie, Jimmy, and Roy McNeil, or JD, Donnie, Ed Enoch, Bill Baize, and Ed Wideman, and the Statesmen with Rosie, Jack, Doyle, and Big Chief. That era of SGM is my favorite. Again I can't settle on just one Artist. My favorites would be Jack Toney and Roy McNeil.

6. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
A man with my looks and my build does not need a superpower..... LOL

7. What would be your fantasy venue, the one stage in the world where you would like to sing?
This one is easy. If I could sing anywhere in the world I would like to sing at the Whitehouse. To sing before the President of the United States, no matter the party would be phenomenal. Just to think that you would have the chance to minister and touch the heart of the most powerful man in the world would be awesome.

8. Who is your most favorite Bible person/character?
Being left-handed, I like Gideon, because he went to war with a left-handed army.

9. What is your favorite thing to shop for?
I guess this will show how weird I am, but I love to grocery shop. My wife just doesn't understand how I can take so long at the grocery store. But when you are reading labels and comparing prices, it's way to get involved in shopping. The bad thing is when I go to the grocery store for something, come home with 5 bags of stuff and still don't have what I went there for.

10. Name a character trait or fruit of the spirit you would really like to develop in your life.
"Goodness". I would like to have more goodness in my life that I could see the hurting people around me. I'm afraid that I live my life so fast paced that
I often miss the troubles that people around me are having.

No comments:

Post a Comment