Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ernie Haase and Signature Sound: Note from Ernie


John Chapter 3
John 3:1-30
As I sit here and read the scriptures of John, I am blown away afresh and anew by their power to transform. I am also blown away by something else: God’s patience in mentoring me along.

I used to read and memorize scriptures and quote them like a parrot. I really did mean well in my young, excitable heart. I think back and can truly say I was trying my best to love God, but I also wanted to impress and maybe even win a debate or two. How foolish. Yet God would still say, “I will keep working with this kid. I have a plan for him.” How loving - how nurturing - how kind. What A Savior!

So here are some thoughts on what I was reading today:

John said to his followers in Chapter 3 Verse 30, “I am really happy that He (Jesus) is getting all the attention now. He must become greater and I must become less important” (my paraphrase).

As I grow and let the Word (realize I’m not talking about letters formed together to make a book,) the true Word, the Spirit of Christ, blow where it wants, I am left helplessly small and yet empowered. How does this happen? Why just now? The second half of my journey should prove to be very interesting.

Some may say I’m having a mid-life crisis. I have even joked about this with my wife. I’m experiencing feelings and hearing of things that I never dreamed I’d see or hear. My body is weak and my nerves are frayed, but I have to believe this is part of the decrease / increase phase of the Spiritual Walk of Faith.

So, I am not having a mid-life crisis. I choose to think that I am having a mid-life Christ Excitement! All my little powerhouse maneuvers cannot and will not work for what true life has to offer. He must increase and I must decrease. I don’t have a clue where the wind will blow next.

Back tracking to verse 8: Verse 8 says clearly what I should expect: “It is the same with every person who is born of the Spirit of God. You are going to be blown all over the place. Unknown but felt.” (Once again my paraphrase. Read the whole chapter to see the context.)

At this point you and I can look at life and all its harsh, horrible realities (and the times of its lovely wonder and awe) and think “This is too much; I just don’t get it anymore” and cave in. Then spend the second half of our lives trying to feel young again and relive the glory days when life was not so complicated and harsh. Or, we can give in to the wind of the Spirit and let it take us and use us to help others who are still spitting into the wind.

This is the great mystery of life. Should be an interesting ride. Gone with the Wind for sure.

Love you all.

Ernie

1 comment:

  1. Then spend the second half of our lives trying to feel young again and relive the glory days when life was not so complicated and harsh.
    Extenze Male Enhancement Australia

    ReplyDelete