Stats Point to Troubling, Unexpected Consequences of Abortion
As the 40th anniversary approaches of the Supreme Court’s Roe vs. Wade decision legalizing abortion, author, speaker and post-abortion trauma and recovery expert Pat Layton is a knowledgeable voice on all facets of the powder-keg issue. After having an abortion at age 23, Layton now counsels women, men and families nationwide on dealing with post-abortion fallout. She is the author of the book A Surrendered Life—Finding Freedom, Healing and Hope After Abortion, which releases nationwide on Jan. 22.
Speaker, author and ministry leader Pat Layton writes for newspapers, blogs, newsletters and ministry media, including Lifeway, Focus on the Family and Proverbs 31 Ministries. Layton founded and leads Life Impact Network and hosts Imagine Me . . . Set Free women’s conferences at churches and other locations nationwide. A member of the American Association of Christian Counselors, she served on the Florida Governor’s Media Service Review Team for the Abstinence Education Plan and Governor’s Partnership for Adoption. The Florida House of Representatives recognized Layton with the Promise of Excellence award.
A Surrendered Life will be in stores Jan. 22.
10 Little-Known Facts, Unexpected Consequences About Abortion
1. Abortion is color-coded. 43 percent of all pregnancies in the black community are aborted; that’s 1,200 black children aborted every day. In New York City abortions outnumber live births in the black community 2 to 1 with about 62 percent of black pregnancies aborted. An overwhelming number of abortion clinics are placed in minority neighborhoods. Planned Parenthood placed 62.5 percent in black communities. SOURCE: AACC/Vol 19 No 1/ Abortion and the Untold Impact “Abortion and the Black Community” by Dean Nelson and Alveda King
2. The loss of human population. Abortion has become the No. 1 cause of death in America
39 percent of all death is by abortion
21 percent by heart disease
18 percent cancer
22 percent all other causes
SOURCE: “Promises UnKept” Article Michael J. New Ph.D. “Abortion: The Number One Cause of American Death” by Dr. Dean Crosby
3. It’s about money. There are about 3,753 abortions every day in the U.S. At an average charge of $300 for each abortion the income is $1,125,900 per day. Planned Parenthood alone received $542 million dollars in government funding/grants in 2012. SOURCE: Newsweek “The Math Behind the Stat” 3/4/2010 Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/08/planned-parenthood-receives-record-amount-taxpayer-support/
4. It’s harming mothers. Abortion has consistently been linked to increases in cases of breast cancer and sexually transmitted diseases. The legalization of abortion accounts for as much as a third of syphilis cases with incidence of syphilis up 35 percent since Roe vs. Wade. SOURCE: AACC (same issue as above)
“Abortion in Amercia” Alan Sears, J.D., Esq
5. The numbers are astounding. By age 45, one third of all women in the U.S. have had an abortion, and 49 percent have had more than one.
6. Effects of emotional and spiritual loss were never considered in the abortion rule. With 55 million abortions since Roe vs. Wade, if only 1 percent of women regretted the choice—550,000 would need help. Yet statistics tell us that as many as many as 80 percent of women interviewed experience post abortion trauma, and this does not count affected men, families and future children. SOURCES: AACC (above)
“Creating a Safe Place for Abortion Recovery” Linda Cochrane, R.N.
British Journal of Psychiatry, Sept. 2011, Dr Priscilla Coleman
Surrendering the Secret/Chapter Three “Truth” page 53
7. Christians are involved. 65 percent of women having abortions identify themselves as Christians and as violating their moral code. SOURCE: 2011 Guttmacher Institute Fact Sheet quotes—37% Protestant--28% Catholic (65%)
8. Abortion affects relationships and marriage. In some studies as many as 70 percent of women interviewed after an abortion did not remain with the father of the child. Abortion leads to trauma in both men and women: shame, secrecy, anger, feelings of being forced or ignored, blame and unforgiveness—poor ingredients for a solid relationship. SOURCE: National Abortion Federation quotes—
83% Unmarried/67% never married/16% separated
“Promises Unkept” by Dr New, referenced above
“Can Relationships Survive After Abortion” Dr. Theresa Karminski Burke
9. Increased out-of-marriage births. The change in societal and social sexual mores has led to increased premarital sexual activity. Use of contraception has increased by 30 percent. The out-of-wedlock birthrate has increased with the abortion numbers. SOURCE: See above
10. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Women who choose abortion experience 81% increased risk of mental health problems—10% directly related to the abortion experience itself. Symptoms of post abortion trauma include: grief, shame, regret, rage and depression. SOURCE: AACC Article above; Linda Cochrane—“Creating a Safe Place”
Layton’s Bible Study Yields Online Reality TV Series
Layton’s Surrendering the Secret Bible study inspired an online reality series that follows a group of women through the healing process in a Surrendering the Secret abortion recovery Bible study. The program by KnockTV, called Surrender the Secret, will air its first online episode on Jan. 22. (www.knocktv.com/surrenderthesecret/preview)
SYNOPSIS: As a new Christian at age 30, Pat Layton’s eyes were opened to a secret from her past she had long kept pushed down—the devastating emotional and spiritual effects of an abortion when she was 23 years old. In A Surrendered Life, Pat takes readers on her personal journey through unearthing that secret, finding help in God’s word, forgiveness in Christ and offering hope to those similarly affected by abortion. A Surrendered Life offers eight practical, biblically based steps for post-abortion recovery.