Monday, February 1, 2010

Rascal Flatts and a Brush with Greatness




On the weekend I was privileged to have tickets to hear Rascal Flatts, in person, live and alive and rockin' at the colliseum about 10 minutes from my house. Awesome concert - I love their music and they really know how to entertain. The funny thing is that I've seen very few of their videos and really don't know what they look like except for the lead singer.


My friend and I were walking along the sidewalk toward the side doors of the venue when two guys crossed the sidewalk ahead of us. The one was kind of looking self conscious and had a bit of a smile on his face. He looked like he knew he was being looked at. Others around us started whispering. We smiled at the men and kept going into the building. Then it hit us. Those men were walking away from a Rascal bus. They were Rascals. In fact, the goodlooking blonde with the smile was Joe Don Rooney, one of the three front men. We were so close to a brush with greatness and we didn't know it until it was too late!


Diego Valasquez painted a picture called "Kitchen Maid with the Supper at Emmaus". This picture has intrigued me since I first saw it. The two men who walked and talked with Jesus for hours and then ate with Him, didn't know it was their Lord until He was gone. The picture shows the men in the background eating with Jesus. They had no clue. But the maid, in the foreground, realizes who they are talking to and is stunned. It's an awesome picture.


Coming close to a Rascal Flatt and not knowing it won't have a great effect on my life. But I hope that when Jesus draws near me, I am always aware that I am in the presence of my Lord. I wouldn't want to miss that. May I always be sensitive to His presence and know that He is near.

No comments:

Post a Comment