Monday, May 10, 2010

SGM Radio Blog’s Top Ten: Mickey Bell






We are thrilled to share with you these mini-interviews with some great Southern Gospel artists! Check back often to see who is next on the SGM Radio Blog's Top Ten!***Editor’s Note: I usually don’t post all 20 questions that the interviewee has answered. However, I thought Mickey was fun and I hope you get a chuckle out of his responses as well as hearing his heart for God. If you take offense at any of the comments, please pray first and then email me! Thanks. Lorraine Walker, sgmradio.lorrainewalker@gmail.com

Mickey Bell

Mickey Bell is the host of a brand new syndicated radio program, This Week in Gospel Music. After many years of traveling in the industry he brings insight to what really goes on behind the scenes of southern gospel music. Combine that with his A-D-D and it's really a pretty good show. www.thisweekingospelmusic.com


Mickey Bell’s Top Ten

1. Please tell us the name of your latest recording and your favorite song from that CD. What is the message behind this song?

The last recording was last week's show and my favorite song from that show was Ricky
Atkinson and Compassion's “Waving on the other Side” because we had a funeral for an uncle of mine who I was really close to and that song encouraged me.

2. What is one show highlight from the last 12 months?

There have been so many but I guess to see the response of our listeners and our radio stations. To see them actually having fun and laughing while listening to Southern Gospel music is a real treat for me. And also getting kicked off of one station for saying the word “speedo” on the air. It's not like I was trying to put Tracy Stuffle in a speedo. Okay, maybe I was.

3. Where is your favorite place to eat on the road?

The show does require me to travel and I love finding those “hole in the wall” places that only the local people know about it. But if you want to talk about the chain restaurants – I like Cracker Barrel so I can see all of my Sr. Adult listeners and I like Steak N Shake so I can see my younger listeners. Don't forget about Waffle House at midnight, the place I get my interviews from the artists.

4. What is your favorite TV series rerun?

Will and Grace – Don't judge me! You may not agree with the homosexual lifestyle but you have to admit they are funny people to watch. Get it? Funny people?

5. Have you been on a mission trip? If you have, where did you go? If you haven't, would you like to and where would you want to go?

I have just recently been invited to Ethiopia to help train pastors on disciplining young
Christians. Many evangelists are going over and winning them for Christ but the pastors there have not been trained and they feel overwhelmed in helping these baby Christians in their walk for Christ.

6. What is the furthest place you have been from your current hometown?

Bahamas – on the Gospel Jubilee Cruise (They don't understand my Alabama accent very well)

7. What is your most favorite technological 'gadget'?

GPS – God's gift from Heaven. I hate getting lost and “Marge” (my gps) gets me where I need to be when I need to be there. I love Marge!

8. What artist are you listening to right now?

We are in the production studio preparing a show and we just played a trio from Scottsboro, Alabama called New Ground.

9. What was the best decade for music? Favorite artist from that decade?

I really enjoyed the decade of the late 80's and early 90's. That was the time I was growing up and “cutting my teeth” on Southern Gospel music. I really enjoyed watching The Kingsmen because of their energy and excitement on stage.

10.Brush with greatness…who have you met that you couldn't wait to tell your friends and family about?

I have pretty high standards in what I consider greatness. And I have always been afraid to meet those types of people because if they turn out to be jerks then I would not consider them great. For instance, I would not dare meet Tiger Woods right now as I’m afraid he might text me. I would not meet Jay Leno as I’m afraid he might try to take my show away from me.

11.If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

The ability to read people's minds like Mel Gibson in the movie, What Women Want. That would be so cool to see what people are really thinking but not saying. Of course that would mean I would find out that less people like our show but I am willing to take that chance.

12.What would be your fantasy venue, the one stage in the world where you would like to sing?

It would for sure be a fantasy is I were singing. But I remember as a young 12 year old boy I would go home and wish that I could play for a group that was playing the Opryland stage on Labor Day weekend or the National Quartet Convention.

13.Who is your favorite Christian author/teacher/evangelist?

Oh so many! I read Ed Young, Jr., T.D Jakes, R.A Vernon and the list goes one. I am usually reading three different books a week.

14.What is one habit you would like to break?

Saying things before I think about what I am saying. I am so glad I can confess this finally to people who will not judge me, but I have this problem of saying the first thing that comes off the top of my head. Like the word “Speedo”. My producers love it because they say it makes for great radio. But I don't have many friends (the sappy music begins to play), all because I can't keep my mouth shut (tear rolling down my cheek). But I will be okay.

15.Who is your most favorite Bible person/character?

I like David. The boy made some mistakes but he also had some great moment in his life. And even after all of his accomplishments and his mistakes he was still known for “having a heart for God”. My goal exactly!

16.What is your favorite Bible verse?

Without question: John 16:33. No matter what your day produces it is comforting to know that God warned us our times of tribulation. We can stand up and put a smile on our face because we know that Christ has already overcome the world, so we can go in peace!

17.Name a song that once it gets stuck in your head you can't get it out.

“The Chicken Dance Song” - the one you hear at weddings but I don't have to be at weddings to hear it in my head. Thanks a lot for this question because I now have the song playing in my head once again. Hold on... I can't let it play without doing the dance...

18.What is your favorite thing to shop for?

Shirts. I love buying all different styles of shirts. I can have only three pairs of shoes, two pairs of pants but I want a variety of shirts.

19.Name a character trait or fruit of the spirit you would really like to develop in your life.

To be honest with you and the people, I need to say patience. But I don't want to say patience because I know what has to happen to me to build up patience in my life so I really don't want to say the word patience even though I know without a doubt that I need more patience in my life. “Oh Lord please don't take this answer as a prayer of request for you to instill patience in my life.” God does have a funny sense of humor when it comes to those things.

20.What is the last book you read?

“Nine Marks of a Healthy Church” by Mark E. Dever

No comments:

Post a Comment