Thursday, March 18, 2010

SGM Radio Blog’s Top Ten: Andrew Ishee


We are thrilled to share with you these mini-interviews with some great Southern Gospel artists! Check back often to see who is next on the SGM Radio Blog's Top Ten!

Andrew Ishee by Lorraine Walker
Andrew Ishee is one of Southern Gospel’s best known and loved pianists. His resume includes the Dixie Echoes, Kingsmen and Palmetto State Quartet. Andrew currently lives in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and is heavily involved in studio work, both playing and producing. This award-winning pianist currently performs solo concerts across the nation.

Andrew Ishee’s Top Ten

1. Please tell us the name of your latest recording and your favorite song from that CD. What is the message behind this song?

I just recorded a project called “Quiet Hymns”. It will be released in the coming weeks. My little girls (Gracie age 2 and Audrey age 1) listen to it every night at bedtime. It’s very calm and is meant for playing while you have quiet time with God or a special time of prayer. My favorite song on the CD is “Trust and Obey”. It’s the last song on the disc, and I recorded it because of a friend of mine, Dr. Bill Myers. Bill’s son died earlier this year in a car accident. This young man was only 22 and Bill has been emotionally drained by the loss. However, Bill writes a devotional on Facebook every day (I encourage you to become his friend and read his posts). In his devotions Bill has underlined the message that we should trust and obey God – even when (or maybe especially when) circumstances are beyond our understanding. I can’t imagine what it would be like to lose one of my children, and I often wonder if I would be so strong in my faith to then say: “I will TRUST and OBEY You, God.”


2. What is one group highlight from the last 12 months?

Just a month or so ago I found out that I’m booked for a concert in Romania this year (just think of the frequent flyer miles!)

3. What is the best city to visit in the US? And…if you’ve been…in Canada? Overseas?

I love to go to the Northwest, so I like Vancouver, BC, and Seattle, WA. But it is also very beautiful in northern Alberta. Once I got to play two concerts in High Level, Alberta. Great place – but hard to get to.

4. What artist are you listening to right now? Who is in your player?

Wow, I couldn’t have a more unusual CD in my car today. I was actually listening to a CD of music by Antonio Jobim. I’m sure you don’t know who that is, but the most famous, perhaps, of his work is a song called “The Girl From Ipanema”. I also have a CD by Henry Slaughter in the car. It’s a compilation of his instrumental work.

5. What are your thoughts on Spam (the product, not the email)?

"Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam". “I don’t like Spam”. And let’s not forget the knights of the round table like to eat “Spam-a-lot”

6. What is one habit you would like to break?

I am terrible at remembering names. And I often find myself forgetting a name just after someone says it to me for the first time. So later I have to ask again, or (as I usually do) pretend I know it!

7. Who is your most favorite Bible person/character?

King Solomon

8. What is your favorite Bible verse?

Luke 10:27 “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and love your neighbor as yourself.”

9. Name a song that once it gets stuck in your head you can’t get it out.

“I’ve Got That Feeling” -- an old Gospel song with about a million words, and though it’s stuck in my head, it seems I can never remember all the words.

10. What is the last book you read?

“The Relationship Principles of Jesus” by Tom Holladay

2 comments:

  1. Comments, questions, or someone you'd like to see on the Top Ten? Email me! sgmradio.lorrainewalker@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visit andrewishee.com

    ReplyDelete