Monday, March 8, 2010

SGM Radio's Top Ten: Allison Lynn


We are thrilled to share with you these mini-interviews with some great Southern Gospel artists! Check back often to see who is next on the SGM Radio Blog's Top Ten!

Allison Lynn…By Allison Lynn
After 3 years in Nashville, TN, Allison Lynn and her husband, Gerald Flemming, have recently returned home to Toronto, ON, Canada. Allison and Gerald both sing, write, and play guitar. Whether performing in a rural women’s ministry or an inner city music festival, Allison and Gerald use their music to encourage, inspire, and incite joy!

www.AllisonLynn.com
www.AllisonLynn.blogspot.com

Allison Lynn’s Top Ten

1. Please tell us the name of your latest recording and your favorite song from that CD. What is the message behind this song?

“Hymns in the Key of Grace” is a collection of ‘intimate’ hymns, celebrating our quiet moments with God. My favourite song on the album is “Give Me Jesus.” I love the beautiful accompaniment by Gerald (guitar) and Teri Reid (piano), but what I really love is the message: no matter where we find ourselves, all we ever need is Jesus.

2. What is one group highlight from the last 12 months?

For “Hymns in the Key of Grace,” I recorded a duet of “In the Garden” with Allison Durham Speer. I was a fan of Allison’s for years, but in recent years, Allison and her husband, Brian, have become both my friends and mentors. It’s such an honour to have her voice on my project!

3. Where is your favorite place to eat on the road?

I’ll admit it: on the road, we go for comfort food! In the States, we like Cracker Barrel, and in Canada, it’s Swiss Chalet!

4. What is the best city to visit in the US? And…if you’ve been…in Canada?

We love Memphis. Great live music and, if you have any interest in the history of rock and roll, you have to visit Sun Records. In Canada, Toronto is awesome for a cool, multi-cultural experience. But, of course, I’m a born and bred Newfoundlander, and I think St. John’s is one of the best places in the world! Great food, great people, great music, and the oldest city in North America!


5. What is your favorite vacation destination? Favorite vacation activity?

Costa Rica! Volcanoes, rain forests, towering waterfalls, and my favourite vacation activity – spending time on the beach!

6. What artist are you listening to right now? Who is in your player?

Gerald and I were recently hired as worship leaders for St. John’s York Mills church in Toronto, so these days I’m listening to a lot of Chris Tomlin, Paul Baloche, and Israel Houghton.

7. Brush with greatness…who have you met that you couldn’t wait to tell your friends and family about?

For our first date, Gerald took me to see Christopher Plummer in “King Lear,” Well, who else came to see Mr. Plummer but his good friend- JULIE ANDREWS!!! I couldn’t believe it! She was just walking around the gift shop of the theatre. I couldn’t resist the opportunity to tell her how much I admired her and to thank her for her influence on my own art and music. I calmly walked away, but I was freaking out inside! Talk about a brush with greatness!


8. Who is your favorite Christian author/teacher/evangelist?

C.S. Lewis – brilliant, creative, challenging, and honest. What’s not to like?

9. Who is your most favorite Bible person/character?

David. How can you not love someone who was so deeply flawed, who struggled with his demons, yet continually sought God? Also, he was a musician, so I feel we’d be good buddies.

10. What is your favorite Bible verse?

Matthew 5:16 – “Let your light so shine before others, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”

Check out Allison Lynn's new CD at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/allisonlynn3

No comments:

Post a Comment