Thursday, April 8, 2010

SGM Radio Blog’s Top Ten: The Goodwins


We are thrilled to share with you these mini-interviews with some great Southern Gospel artists! Check back often to see who is next on the SGM Radio Blog's Top Ten!

The Goodwins…by Martha Drake

The Goodwins are a family based music ministry from the Charleston area of West Virginia. The group members are John Goodwin (baritone vocals, bass guitar, coach/bus driver), Martha Drake (lead singer, songwriter, piano, group manager), Natasha Blethen (Soprano vocals), Ron Hamilton (Bass Vocals), Brandon Drake (Drums), Katie Drake (vocals) and Alfred Drake (sound technician). They have been traveling up and down the east coast spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ through song since 1982.

The Goodwin’s Top Ten - By Martha Drake

1. Please tell us the name of your latest recording and your favorite song from that CD. What is the message behind this song?

Reflections / 24/7 - This song conveys the message that it takes more than just attending Sunday morning service to have a relationship with Christ. It doesn’t matter how much money you donate to the church or who you know at the church, but requires a daily walk with Christ, walking with him 24/7.

2. What is one group highlight from the last 12 months?

Probably the service that we almost didn't make because of a scheduling conflict. We worked around it and made the appointment. There were 35 people there that night. Attendance was a bit low, but the Lord started to move and God impressed upon me (Martha) to go ahead and give the alter call and nine people were saved including the first which was a 10 year old boy. It was an absolutely amazing service.

3. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

Mind control! Sometimes it seems like words just bounce off of people when you witness to them and I wish that I could just get into their heads and reach them somehow. It would also be great when trying to get the kids to clean their room.


4. What would be your fantasy venue, the one stage in the world where you would like to sing?

Probably NQC main stage. I got to watch The Wilburns do a song of mine that they recorded (That's My Boy) from the artist circle back in 2000 and it was awesome. We hope to sing there or to a large crowd of true SG fans someday. I would love to see my songs reach a large number of people the way that song did that year at NQC.

5. Brush with greatness…who have you met that you couldn’t wait to tell your friends and family about?

Jimmy Swaggert and Jim Bakker. Both of these men have grown beyond their shortcomings and are a true inspiration to me. We sang at Jim Bakker's church years ago and got the opportunity to stay (in our coach) at their home and really got to know him and his family. They left a lasting and very positive impression upon me.

6. Who is your most favorite Bible person/character?

Probably the apostle Paul and Peter. Men who overcame their own shortcomings and failures to finally achieve the position in the Lord's plan that was intended.


7. What is your favorite Bible verse?

Isaiah 43:2 When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
This is a constant reminder to me that no matter what trials I face in life that He will always go ahead of me and as a child of God I am protected.


8. Name a song that once it gets stuck in your head you can’t get it out.

Actually it is one of my own songs that I wrote about a year ago called Walk On The Water. It has a really catchy little tune that drives my 13-year-old crazy. If I sing just a snippet of it, my son will be singing it for days!

9. What is your favorite thing to shop for?

Clothes! I love shopping for singing clothes for me and for the guys. I also enjoy shopping for clothes for my kids quite a bit.

10. What is the last book you read?

Actually it was a book on the Civil War. I am also very interested in anything that pertains to the Civil War and love reading books on the subject and visiting historical sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment