Monday, April 26, 2010

SGM Radio Blog’s Top Ten: Matt Bond from WYGS in Indiana




We are thrilled to share with you these mini-interviews with some great Southern Gospel artists! Check back often to see who is next on the SGM Radio Blog's Top Ten!


Matt Bond
I work at WYGS, a Southern Gospel radio station in Columbus, Indiana, where I’ve been for a year and a half. I am probably one of the few DJ’s in Southern Gospel that didn’t grow up listening to the music; so to say that the music has grown on me is pretty true. The music we play at WYGS has probably an 80/20 split, in that 80% of the music has an updated sound to it. We have a saying here at WYGS that we are the extension of the church, whose purpose is to shepherd the flock and to evangelize to the non-believers. So while we reach out to our current listeners, I totally believe that we need to be reaching the non-believers. I think the updated sound of Southern Gospel music helps with that. While we still play Gold City, Brian Free, Kingdom Heirs, etc, I don’t have a problem with reaching out to some of the other groups that may not get noticed at other stations, as long as they have a quality sound, like The Hunters, or Jared and Nick Fields because they have that progressive sound to them.



Matt Bond’s Top Ten

1. Have you been on a mission trip? If you have, where did you go? If you haven’t, would you like to and where would you want to go?

I’ve been on a few, I’ve been to Haiti twice and to Show Low, Arizona 3 times.

2. What artist are you listening to right now?

Does the clock ticking count? I don’t have any music on right now, but if I did, it would probably be Austin’s Bridge.

3. What was the best decade for music? Favorite artist from that decade?
1980’s - Well, I didn’t grow up in Gospel music, so probably Journey. I know, I’m bad.

4. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

Wisdom…I think Solomon was on it!

5. What is one habit you would like to break?

Being annoying!

6. Who is your most favorite Bible person/character?

I love Peter. He’s the rock on which Christ built his church.

7. What is your favorite Bible verse?

2 Corinthians 12:9, “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.””

8. Name a song that once it gets stuck in your head you can’t get it out.

Right now, it’s “The Wheels on the Bus Go ‘Round and ‘Round”…that’s what my 19 month old is singing!

9. Name a character trait or fruit of the spirit you would really like to develop in your life.

Gentleness

10. What is the last book you read?

John Grisham’s “The Appeal”

No comments:

Post a Comment